GW England - School for Oriental and African Studies
London, United Kingdom (Outgoing Program)
|Homepage:||Click to visit|
|Restrictions:||GW applicants only|
|Minimum GPA:||3||Language(s) of Instruction:||English|
|Housing Options:||Independent, Residence Hall||Other Eligibility Requirements:||2 years university-level study prior to enrollment, Significant academic coursework in the proposed field(s) of study|
|Host Institution:||School of Oriental and African Studies||Class Status:||Undergraduate|
|Open to non-GW students:||No||Level of Immersion:||Fully Integrated|
|Program Sponsor:||GW Study Program||Program Tier Fee:||Tier 1|
School of Oriental and African Studies through GW England
The School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS) is the only higher education institution in the U.K. specializing in the study of Africa, Asia, and the Near and Middle East. Students directly enroll into the university and take classes alongside British and other international students.
Formal coursework is complemented by GW England-sponsored cultural activities organized by the GW Resident and Academic Directors living in country.
For more detailed information on academics, finances, and student life, please visit the Office for Study Abroad website.
EligibilityTo be eligible to study at SOAS through GW England, students must demonstrate:
- Completion of 45 or more credits. Applicants must have completed at least two years of university level study prior to enrollment at SOAS.
- Good judicial standing without a significant record of judicial infractions.
- Cumulative GPA of 3.0 or higher. Some departments require a minimum of 3.3 GPA.
- Significant academic coursework in the proposed field(s) of study.
Application Instructions for Students
Participants are selected by GW and SOAS for admission on the basis of their application, academic transcripts, recommendations, judicial status, and preparation for study abroad.
The application is online and can be opened by clicking the “Apply Now” button at the bottom of this page. Application requirements include:
- SOAS Application: Students must submit a paper copy of their application to the GW Office for Study Abroad. GW will send nominations to SOAS, where the final admissions decision is made.
- Official transcripts
- One academic recommendation from a professor in the student’s field of study. This recommendation can be submitted either electronically or directly to GW Office for Study Abroad in a sealed envelope with the recommender’s signature over the seal.
- Four passport-size photos: Students must submit 4 passport-size photos (printed on photo paper) to the Office for Study Abroad. Passport-size photos can be taken at several area locations, including CVS and Kinko’s.
- Copy of passport: Students must upload a copy of their passport signature page to the application portal. Please note that the passport MUST be valid for at least six months following the date of the student’s return to the U.S. upon completing the program.
All required documents and materials must be submitted to the GW Office for Study Abroad, where they will be reviewed and forwarded to the host institution if the student is nominated.
Academic Year: March 15
Fall Semester: March 15
Spring Semester: October 15
Applications will be accepted on a rolling basis.
Please note: Applications are complete once all of the boxes have been checked off. You will not receive an email confirming that your application is complete.