GW Study in Israel Scholarship
The GW Study in Israel Scholarship is a competitive financial award that takes into consideration merit and/or financial need. Recipients will receive awards up to $3000 for a summer program or up to $7000 for semester study on a GW-approved study abroad program in Israel.
Students who are awarded the GW Study in Israel Scholarship will be expected to post entries on our Wordpress Blog site at least once a month, communicating aspects of their experience living and studying throughout their stay at the partner university, in order to help future students learn more about the country and the specific academic program and location.
Funding opportunities are provided through a combination of (1) GW scholarships available to all students and/or (2) funds offered through the Embassy of Israel specifically for students who have experience with or interest in Latin American culture.
Applicants must meet all study abroad eligibility requirements and identify a program approved by the Office for Study Abroad. In addition, timelines and deadlines set by the Office for Study Abroad must be met.
All application materials must be submitted online. Paper submissions will not be accepted.
- 500- to 750- word typed essay addressing the following questions:
- Why did you choose your host institution and study in Israel? What classes do you plan to take while at your host institution?
- How does participating in this program serve your long-term personal, professional, and educational goals? Why is studying abroad important to you?
- What do you hope to learn about your host country or city?
- What are some strategies you might use to adapt to differences in language, academic culture, and host country culture of your program?
- Financial aid award letter or short statement of financial need
- Unofficial transcript
- OPTIONAL – students who are interested in applying for the supplemental scholarship offered through the Embassy of Israel may be interviewed and/or required to answer additional questions about their knowledge of and interest in Latin America. A selection committee of GW and Embassy professionals will choose the recipients of these funds.
Fall semester & summer term: May 1
Spring semester: December 1
Students' scholarship applications will be reviewed in May for the fall semester and summer term and December for the spring semester. These are highly competitive scholarships and will only be granted to a select number of students.
Students who are studying abroad for the academic year must apply for a GW scholarship for each semester they are abroad. If you are awarded a scholarship in the fall semester it does not automatically transfer to the spring; you will need to reapply for the scholarship before the spring semester.